Teaching Practice

A.      Procedure of Teaching
In this teaching practice, I have taught in grade 5 (grade 5 Camia and Rose) with Science subjects. The photo below is my schedule in teaching Science subjects in Grade 5 Camia and Rose every day.

My schedule

For this practice teaching, Sir Albert gave me an advance topics from his lists of what to be taught to the pupils. These topics are:
1.         A Compound Microscope
2.         Famous Scientists
3.         General Properties
4.         Special Properties of Solid Materials
Science book for grade 5

In the steps of the teaching process, I have observed and learned from my mentor and my friends who are also students majoring in education related to the pattern of the learning process here. After I found out the topic that I was about to teach, I began to make one by one the lesson plans. I was asked to make a lesson plan with the semi-detailed lesson plan format. In making the learning plan, I was helped by my friends (from the Philippines) who came from the teaching field as well. I learned about the structure of the lesson plan used in their school. I also always discussed my ideas regarding learning procedures and always ask for their opinions.






One of My Lesson Plan

In carrying out the learning process, it is divided into four stages as follows.
1.    The first stage is the preparation stage where I invite students to review the subject matter they have learned before and provide motivation (apperception) to students to prepare themselves mentally in learning.
2.   The second stage is the presentation of the lesson stage, here I provide an explanation or display to students regarding the material being studied. I also did this activity by inviting students to find something like finding the right partner and others.
3.    The third stage is the discussion stage, the activity here is in the form of a discussion between the teacher and students and students with students. The method that I have used is question and answer and group work.
4.    The fourth stage is the stage of generalization, where in this stage students are asked to review the lessons learned on that day. Activities can be with question and answer or with games.
5.    The fifth stage is the stage of assessment / assignment, where this stage students will be given the task in the form of evaluations to measure their understanding of learning on that day or the task to be done at home.

For more details, here I have attached the lesson plan that I have made while teaching at the BSU-Elementary Laboratory School.

B.       Time Management and Organizing Activities




when I am Teaching

After I finished teaching the two classes, Sir Albert and I always talked in his room about the results of his observations regarding to how I did my teaching. Based on the teaching practices I have done and observations from my mentor, I have learned a lot about how to manage time and class.
When I first taught, I was still having difficulty implementing the learning process on time (for 50 minutes). This is because I spent too much time in the preparation stage (activities reviewing learning that is negligent and motivating students). In managing time, I was asked to focus and provide a lot of time during the core learning activities and not to spend a lot of time at other stages.




when I am Teaching

Regarding organizing activities, in the first time I also taught I had experienced some difficulties. The difficulty is related to asking students to take lessons in an orderly manner. In this case, I have received input that in teaching I must be firm and give clear explanations to students so that they will obey what I ask. For example, during group discussion activities, I must clearly inform all students that they all have to participate in the group to complete the task. If I do not expressly and clearly give these instructions, some of the students will be passive and not carry out the activities as desired.
Day after day I carry out teaching practices, in the end I can overcome my weaknesses in carrying out the learning process. At the last time I taught, I did not get the slightest comment and suggestion from my mentor because he had said that what I had done was right.


C.      Problem-Solving
when I am Teaching

In carrying out the teaching practice process, I have had several problems faced, namely as follows
1.    Teaching using English. This is my problem because I don't use English in my daily life so I'm not too familiar in speaking English. In overcoming this, every night before the next day I teach I train myself to speak (teach) in my room using English. This is very effective in overcoming my problems.
2.   Managing time and students during the learning process. This is a problem for me because the allocation is very little, which is 50 minutes and the number of students in one class is very large, which is an average of 40. In overcoming this, I always discuss it with my mentor and my friends from the education department regarding how I should do it. After that, I applied what was suggested during my teaching practice. This was successful in helping my problems with time management and students, discussing what I should do and practicing it.

D.      Classroom Management
when I am Teaching

In class management, I have a few obstacles in forming group forms in the classroom. This is because the number of students is very large in one class, plus the size of the classrooms is narrow. These constraints are not significant obstacles, except that if I ask students to work in groups it will take a long time to arrange their seats into groups.

Comments